Android devices more likely to go bust than others

Android devices more likely to go bust than othersAndroid users may spend their lives looking down at iOS fanboys as mollycoddled members of the Cupertino Borg but they're also more likely to have their flashy phones and tablets go kaput.

That's down to a study by WDS (Wireless Experience Management experts, of course) which has helpfully been brought to us by BGR. It found that it's mainly hardware failure as opposed to problems with the software than makes things go wrong after analysing 600,000 support calls across the world.

Here are the numbers: 14% of calls were complaining about Android hardware compared to 11% for Windows Phone, 7% for iOS and 6% for BlackBerry. Apparently, Android handset repairs cost operators £1.2bn a year.

To be fair, this is because there are significantly more Android devices on the market than any other OS and they range from the top end tablets to the cheapo devices made by a multitude of manufacturers - some of whom, most of us will have never heard of.

Which segways nicely into the appropriate disclaimer by the report authors to defend both their findings and the integrity of the Android OS:

"One thing we must be absolutely clear on is that our analysis does not find any inherent fault with the Android platform," said Tim Deluca-Smith, vice president of marketing at WDS. "Its openness has enabled the ecosystem to grow to a phenomenal size, at a phenomenal rate, and it's this success that is providing challenging."

Yet another reason for iLovers and Droid fans to slag each other off.

Read more about: Android

Add a comment
9 comments

CTPAHHIK  Nov. 4, 2011 at 14:07

7% for iOS is completely wrong. iOS devices have 0.01% chance of fault. Other 99.99% are entirely end user failure.

Blackberry can only call, text, and email. What can possibly go wrong?

JanSt / MOD  Nov. 4, 2011 at 15:03

Wait, WP have a share of what? 2%, but they are number 2 in hardware problemification?

CTPAHHIK, when was the last time you used a BB? :p

Andy247  Nov. 4, 2011 at 15:11

Apple has the highest rate of 'damage' according to the UK insurance industry with crush damage being the main attributable cause. That's by volume so despite there being a smaller number of iPhone users, you'd better make sure you have it in a case!

JanSt / MOD  Nov. 4, 2011 at 16:10

Andy, any breakdown of numbers of insured? I'm pretty f#cking sure more iPhone users take out insurance?! Again, distorted figures. The industry is so tight and secretive...

matt101101 / MOD  Nov. 4, 2011 at 17:17

Lets face it, no-one really knows, it all depends what spin you put on the figures. I've seen people with all kinds of broken phones, no one type seems to break that much more than others.

JanSt / MOD  Nov. 4, 2011 at 21:41

Well, maybe Android users are just clumsier than ... sorry. :p

matt101101 / MOD  Nov. 4, 2011 at 21:51

Well, my S2 survived a trip to "The North", this week ;).

JanSt / MOD  Nov. 5, 2011 at 06:55

My HTC Desire HD had a dead volume rocker after 5 weeks. The exchange unit came with a faulty sim cover.

But: c'mon, the shocker in this story are the WP7 figures considering how few MS managed to sell.

Though, the whole story seems fishily short of details.

matt101101 / MOD  Nov. 5, 2011 at 13:30

The lock/power button on my 1st S2 didn't lock the phone...weirdly it did turn it on/off though...so that one lasted less than a day :p.

I agree with you about the % of WP7 related calls. 11% of calls for 2% (ish), of the smartphone market. 14% of calls were android related but android holds around 40% of the market...

Basically, like I said, it all depends how you want to spin the figures...

Email:

You don't need an account to comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

Comment: