A wise man (or perhaps lady) once said: “If you’re not moving forward, you’re moving backwards.”
With that in mind, Team Mountain View continues to roll out updates for its popular Google Maps app, with the latest release introducing a ton of new features for both Android and iOS users.
The Google Maps update is detailed in full over on the Google Maps Lat Long blog (where else?), with the headline: “Get on the road, go off the grid, or plan the perfect weekend with the Google Maps app”.
Rather than regurgitate what Google says in its entirety, I’ll opt for bullet point highlights. Ready?
- Google Maps now tells you which lane to drive in, which would’ve come in handy for my recent journey from New Orleans to Houston, hmm
- Simpler options for saving offline maps
- Filters for venues including restaurants, bars and hotels (rating, price, opening hours…)
- Integration with the Uber taxi app
- More information for public transport, including train times
- Save places (maybe a park you’ve visited – or wanted to visit) across all signed-in devices
- Explore tourist destinations in Street View, including the inside of some hotels and restaurants
Needless to say, the above features are largely provided on a “where available” basis.