Google Play still miles behind App Store in revenue

Google Play still miles behind App Store in revenueThe App Store has traditionally raked in more money than Google Play, with iOS users – particularly those with iPads – generally being more liberal with their wallets.

That’s the story we’re hearing again, though with Android’s market share continuing to rise, it has inevitably closed the gap. Er, a tiny bit.

Market researcher Canalys says Q1 2013 saw all app stores collectively grab a whopping $2.2 billion. The App Store makes up a significant 74% of that figure, while Google Play trails on just 18%.

However, these things aren’t an exact science, and as such we shouldn’t be too surprised to hear App Annie claiming that Google Play managed 38.5% of Apple’s App Store revenue (the Canalys figure above would be closer to 25% i.e. 18/74 * 100).

In any case, Google Play is still a fair bit behind the App Store, despite its larger market share (Q4 2012 figures from IDC put Android at 70.1% and iOS at 21%), though Adam Daum, chief analyst at Canalys, reckons that’ll change come 2016.

Meanwhile, Oliver Lo, Vice President at App Annie, says Google Play downloads are now around 90% of the App Store’s; it’s revenue that’s the big difference.

In terms of gaming, Japan and South Korea in particular are pumping a silly amount of money into Google Play. Indeed, a few months ago we heard that the top 5 Android games in Q4, globally, were Puzzle & Dragons, DragonFlight for Kakao, Anipang for Kakao, GREE, and I Love Coffee for Kakao. Clearly skewed towards our eastern friends.

Gary Google and Andy Apple will be laughing all the way to the bank, with around 30% of revenue going in their pockets. Dave Developer grabs the remaining 70%.

via: Reuters

Read more about: AndroidiOS

Add a comment
5 comments

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 22, 2013 at 16:05

Not that long ago the Nokia Ovi store for Symbian made more money than Google's mess :p

ziut3k  Apr. 23, 2013 at 12:17

App store's revenue is driven by a lot paid of apps which are FREE on Google Play. This makes a huge difference, but I have to agree that an average iPhone user will spend more then Android equivalent. Nevertheless, this will change soon, once the Google Play will be cleaned from all those junk apps and more high-end mobiles will bring typical iOS user towards using android-powered devices.

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 23, 2013 at 15:30



App store's revenue is driven by a lot paid of apps which are FREE on Google Play


name 20!!!!
On the other hand: how about the dozens and dozens of paid-for Android launcher alternatives, themes etc? A whole class of apps not available for iOS!

But: ...ahem, whatever.

ziut3k  Apr. 24, 2013 at 00:15

I see that you're a bit touchy. Ands and ios are two completely different business models. I still prefer to download an app for free from g.play, skip the ads by switching off *internet* instead of paying for exactly same cr*p from Jobs ancestors :) Good, but not so up-to-date example are angry birds....lame, huh? Anyway, whatever. It certainly isn't a topic to argue about. One will love marmite, one will hate.

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 24, 2013 at 05:33

I see that you're a bit touchy. Ands and ios are two completely different business models. I still prefer to download an app for free from g.play, skip the ads by switching off *internet* instead of paying for exactly same cr*p from Jobs ancestors :) Good, but not so up-to-date example are angry birds....lame, huh? Anyway, whatever. It certainly isn't a topic to argue about. One will love marmite, one will hate.

So: "lots" of half a million but you can't name 20?! Lame. :p
I'm the least touchy person you'll ever encounter, by the way.
I just dislike marmite.

Email:

You don't need an account to comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

Comment: