The overheating iPad saga has been dividing opinions over the last week or so, with some claiming it's a very real – and dangerous – issue, and others saying it's all just a desperate attempt to find something to criticise Apple's new tablet about.
Well hold the phone Nelly, because it seems the malaise may be spreading: new reports are claiming that an iPhone 4 has also fallen victim to temperature-related gremlins, nearly exploding while being charged overnight.
Our tale of combusting gadgetry takes us to Colorado in the US, where a woman has claimed to have woken up in the middle of the night to find her white iPhone 4 “sizzling” and “popping”, culminating in “not quite an explosion, but an immense crackling”.
The ailing iDevice, whose bulging battery had forced through the device's casing, then started belching forth plumes of smoke, with our distraught iPhone owner claiming there was “an awful, putrid smell, almost like you were ingesting plastic of some kind”.
Now far be it for us to take sides, but hinting that your life journey may include having eaten plastic at some point – in fact, having eaten enough to associate a smell with it – may explain why nobody is taking the claims all that seriously.
Apple itself has fallen short of declaring a national state of emergency, but did at least send the woman a replacement iPhone 4 – even though she was hoping for an upgrade to an iPhone 4S.
The company has since inspected the device and claims it is working normally.