We’re continually hearing that the gaming landscape is – like it or not – undergoing a massive change, thanks to the rise of mobile games.
Gone are the days of paying £30 for a Master System or NES cartridge and being tethered to your TV by a wired joypad. Now a huge amount of gaming takes place on smartphones, on buses and on trains.
Geekaphone has put together a rather sexy infographic, with tons of stats about gaming and revenue and tablets and what not. Here are some of the highlights:
- The mobile gaming industry will make $8 billion this year, rising to $11.4 billion in 2014.
- 53% of mobile gamers are female.
- 51% of the top 25 grossing App Store apps are free.
- In game purchases are on course to surpass pay-per-downloads by 2013.
- Angry Birds has been downloaded 140 million times.
- The free version of Angry Birds earns an estimated $1 million per month from ads.
- 46% of BlackBerry owners have no games on their phones.
Interesting stuff. Head over to Geekaphone to check out the full infographic.