A few days ago we announced that the LG Optimus 2X will not be getting the ICS update until Q3 of this year. To me, this is a long time to wait. Fortunately though, you can install an unofficial build of Cyanogen 9 (based off ICS) that will give you Ice Cream Sandwich goodness and more!
Usual rules apply. Your phone’s warranty will be voided and Mobot takes no responsibility for any damage caused to your device! Your phone will be wiped so back up anything important...
You’ll need the following files:
- ClockworkMod NVFlash-installer by Rysty
- Unnofficial Cyanogenmod 9 by Owain – download the latest one
- Google Apps
Extract the contents of the ClockworkMod zip to a directory (name this directory NV) within your C drive or wherever convenient. If your LG Optimus 2X is using an SD card, place the Cyanogenmod zip and Google Apps zip on the root of the card (the directory that opens when you first access the card). If you’re not using an external SD card then simply place them on your phone’s internal memory, once again in the root directory (the directory that opens when you first access the phone).
Now switch off your LG Optimus 2X and take out the battery. Once done plug the LG Optimus 2X into your computer via USB. If your LG Optimus 2X isn’t recognised by the computer at this stage you’ll need to install the drivers which are located within the NV folder you extracted ClockworkMod to, in a folder called ‘driver’. To install these simply right click your ‘My Computer’ icon and then:
- Click on ‘Manage,
- Locate ‘Device Manager’ and open
- Locate a device called ‘xxxxxx recovery driver for mobile devices’ right click and select ‘update driver’
- Manually search for the driver in the directory pointed out above
This should install the necessary driver and your phone should be recognised. You should then navigate back to the folder where you extracted ClockwordMod (If you followed what I said then this should be C:\NV). Open the file called ‘flash recovery.bat’:
If you’re using an external SD card press 2, otherwise press 1. A software update screen should appear on the LG Optimus 2X, just sit back and keep an eye on the Command Prompt window which will give you the progress of the update.
Once done, unplug the phone and re-insert the battery. Whilst holding volume down press and hold the power key, this should bring you to the ClockworkMod recovery screen; you can release the buttons when this happens!
Using the volume buttons to navigate, do the following:
- Locate ‘install zip from sdcard’ and then press the power button to select
- Now navigate to ‘choose zip from sdcard’ and press the power button to select again
- Now you need to navigate to where you placed the Cyanogenmod zip, locate it and select with the power button
- Confirm you wish to install and wait until it’s finished
- Once done select ‘choose zip from sdcard’ again but now choose the Google Apps zip and confirm you wish to install
- Once completed navigate back to the main menu then select ‘restart system now’
Your LG Optimus 2X should now be rocking Cyanogenmod 9 with all the goodies of Ice Cream Sandwich and more!
(Credit to XDA)