Investigators: melted Samsung Galaxy S III was microwaved

Investigators: melted Samsung Galaxy S III was microwavedIf you’re dubious about all these exploding/melting/spontaneously combusting smartphones, prepare to become all the more dubious.

Remember the Samsung Galaxy S III that partly melted while in a car dock? Turns out the douche bag stuck it in the microwave. Yep, you heard me.

On Samsung Tomorrow, Sammo has posted the results of the independent investigation conducted by Fire Investigations UK (FIUK), and they make for interesting reading.

“The energy source responsible for generating the heat has been determined as external to the device. The [Samsung Galaxy S III] was not responsible for the cause of the fire.”

Better still, FIUK suggests: “The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

Posting on, the Samsung Galaxy S III owner says: “I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone.

“It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake.

“I am unable to comment any further.”

If only they’d read Jan’s Save your wet phone guide.

Read more about: Samsung Galaxy S3Android

Add a comment

JanSt / MOD  Jul. 7, 2012 at 19:33 Hahaha I kind of 'know' that dude.... Never realised an Irish punter was responsible o_O :D
Unless I'm mistaken, he's a Teaching student! Not physics, I hope.
PS: I never trusted Ireland & microwaves - the wet weather is just to tempting.

matt101101 / MOD  Jul. 8, 2012 at 00:28

Oh dear...some people's crazy ideas make me laugh :p. Who the hell thought putting a phone in a microwave to dry it out, was a good idea haha :D?

Rice and an airing cupboard is what I'd suggest to dry out any small electronic device...or there's always exposure to extremely high doses of EM radiation, if you're so inclined...

dcx_badass  Jul. 10, 2012 at 04:17

The moisture indicators were removed from the phone as well before it was sent off, hopefully the guy is charged with fraud.


You don't need an account to comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.