Last week, in the first Review of the week in mobile of 2015, I promised more of everything: more deals, more news, more features, more writing until my fingers bleed, and that's exactly what we delivered.
The highlight of the week was of course CES 2015 in Las Vegas, the first of three major annual mobile conferencemajigs, and there was plenty to talk about.
New phones at CES 2015? We had the HTC Desire 826, HTC’s first phone with Lollipop out of the box; the Asus ZenFone 2, a whole lotta smartphone for just $199; and the $29 internet-ready Microsoft Nokia 215.
As for tablets at CES 2015, we had the Lenovo Yoga Tablet 8 2 with Windows, which welcomes pretty much any object as a stylus thanks to its AnyPen Technology, including a fork. Seriously. Asus was typically prolific, bringing along four(ish) Asus Transformer Book Chi laptop/tablet hybrids.
Away from CES 2015 (yes, there was life outside Las Vegas), Samsung baffled us all with the Samsung Galaxy E5 and Galaxy E7. Check out Samsung Galaxy A3 vs. Galaxy A5 vs. Galaxy A7 vs. Galaxy E5 vs. Galaxy E7: spec comparison (free table inside!) for a full breakdown of Samsung's new midrange arsenal.
In other news, Three is adding Spain to its Feel At Home proposition (si!), the Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 was rumoured to be in trouble again, the Samsung Galaxy A7 launched quietly in Malaysia, and the App Store’s prices crept up a little.
Next week we expect to hear more about the Samsung Galaxy S6, Sony Xperia Z4 and HTC Hima, none of which showed face at CES 2015. Well, not for public consumption, anyway.
In the meantime, happy weekending! Here’s the week’s mobile news in full:
- No more US Netflix in the UK? (3)
- Phones 4u stock goes up for public auction (28)
- Is this the metal Samsung Galaxy S6?
- LG G Flex 2 leaked in full ahead of CES 2015 launch: 5.5in 1080p, Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 (Update: It's official!)
- CES 2015: HTC Desire 826 launches with Lollipop onboard (2)
- CES 2015: Asus ZenFone 2 launches with up to 4GB of RAM, priced just $199
- Make cheap calls from abroad - Three ditches roaming charges in Spain
- CES 2015: Microsoft’s Nokia 215 offers online mobile goodness for $29 (1)
- CES 2015: Asus launches 3-4 Transformer Book Chi laptop/tablet hybrids (5)
- Samsung Galaxy E5 and Galaxy E7 announced for India
- No 4in Apple iPhone 6s mini after all? We’re not giving up hope
- CES 2015: Lenovo Yoga Tablet 8 2 with Windows launches with AnyPen Technology
- Apple Watch release date: March 2015?
- Samsung Galaxy A7 debuts quietly in Malaysia
- Apple’s App Store prices to increase imminently in EU, Norway, Canada
- Gold Nokia Lumia 930 coming to China this month
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 rumoured to be in trouble again (2)
- ‘Selfie sticks’ banned from Emirates Stadium and White Hart Lane
- CES 2015: Sony Walkman ZX2 comes in at £949 (4)
- CES 2015: Wireless smartphone charging coming to McDonald’s UK
- Gold Nokia Lumia 930, Lumia 830 coming to Europe, woohoo!