Another week, another sackload of mobile news, deals, features… I wouldn’t necessarily say a “heroic” effort by yours truly, but, yeah, if you insist.
This was the week after the week of CES, and various Chinese manufacturers stepped up with new goodies, most notably Xiaomi, “China’s Apple”.
The Mi Notes aren’t exactly cheap (as far as Chinese smartphones go anyway), but Xiaomi is also tipped to be prepping a $65 LTE-compatible device for imminent launch. A presumably high-end Xiaomi Mi5 Plus has been rumoured, too.
In other Chinese smartphone news, the Meizu MX4 topped AnTuTu’s Best Android smartphones 2014 countdown, and Oppo launched the sapphire glass R1C.
Samsung was typically busy, launching the Android-based Galaxy A7 (finally!) and the Tizen-fuelled Z1. The world’s number one manufacturer is also seemingly prepping four new midrange Galaxy tablets, and the Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop update finally arrived in the UK. Alas, rumours of Samsung buying BlackBerry were unfounded.
Next week, as we race towards Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015, we’ll inevitably hear more about the imminent Samsung Galaxy S6 (metal, Edge display(s), yadda yadda yadda), the Sony Xperia Z4 and its many siblings, and the HTC Hima.
In the meantime, happy weekending! Here’s what you might’ve missed in mobile news:
- Xiaomi’s $65 LTE-compatible smartphone pops up on TENAA (1)
- Samsung Galaxy A7 finally made official
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 2 launching this Thursday?
- Oppo R1C launching this Wednesday with sapphire glass rear?
- Meizu MX4 tops AnTuTu’s China-heavy Best Android Smartphones 2014 report
- Samsung Galaxy S6: MWC 2015 launch, two models?
- Sony Xperia Z4 Music heading to MWC in March? (1)
- LG G Flex 2 price set at €599 by Amazon.de
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop Android 5.0 update hits the UK
- Samsung Galaxy J1 leaked in pics ahead of imminent release
- Report: Samsung Galaxy S6 UI going back to Google Nexus 6-level basics
- Oppo R1C official: 8-core, 4G, sapphire glass rear, £265
- Samsung’s £60 Tizen-fuelled Z1 is finally a reality
- Microsoft Lumia 435: an even more affordable Lumia 535 at €69
- Is this the Xiaomi Mi5 Plus, launching tomorrow?
- Xiaomi Mi Note: the Chinese Apple serves up its first of two new dual SIM phablets
- Xiaomi Mi Note Pro: the second of today’s new Chinese dual SIM phablets is a beast
- Project Ara to debut in Puerto Rico soonish with Spiral 2
- BlackBerry denies it’s being bought by Samsung
- Samsung brewing four new Android tablets and a ‘flood’ of Tizen devices
- DigiTimes: Samsung Galaxy S6 to ‘dump’ Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 amid overheating fears
- LG G4 specs: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810, 16MP rear camera?
- Samsung Galaxy S6 specs: 2K QHD display and 64-bit processor?
- ZTE Blade S6 looks like a Chinese iPhone 6
- OnePlus One Lollipop update coming February?