And so ends January 2015, with CES 2015 firmly in our rear-view mirror, and Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015 just a few weeks up the road.
This week the theme was quarterly results for the final three months of 2014, and the big news was that Apple had the best quarter of any company in the history of quarters, and might’ve overtaken Samsung to become the world’s number one smartphone maker. Er, maybe.
There was more great news for Apple as we learned the Californians are officially number one in China, a remarkable feat considering how expensive the iPhone is, and in a market where home-grown phones are typically high-specced and wallet-friendly.
In Chinese smartphone news, it was suggested that the OnePlus 2 release date might be pushed back to Q3 on account of those supposed Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 overheating problems, and OnePlus unveiled its own Android ROM, OxygenOS. See you later, CyanogenMod.
As we eagerly anticipate the first wave of 2015 Android flagships, we heard that the HTC One M9 won’t look too much like the One M8; the Sony Xperia Z4 mightn’t launch till summer, but we’re cool with that; and the LG G4 was tipped to rock the highest smartphone resolution ever.
As for Samsung, we’re told (again) that Galaxy S6 TouchWiz will be significantly slimmed down, and the Galaxy S6 Edge will supposedly release in Europe as the Galaxy S Edge.
Finally, if you’re rocking a Google slate, be sure to download free Microsoft Office for Android tablets.
And that’s about the size of it for this week. Next week, expect, er, I’m not sure, actually, such is the beauty of life.
In the meantime, here’s the week’s mobile news in full:
- HTC One M9: not too similar to the One M8?
- Google Nexus 6 should’ve had rear fingerprint scanner, Apple ruined the party
- OnePlus 2 release delayed till Q3 due to overheating Qualcomm Snapdragon 810?
- Samsung files trademarks for Galaxy E3, Galaxy J3, J5, J7
- TalkTalk launches cheapest UK SIM only plan at £3.75PM
- Summer release for the Sony Xperia Z4?
- Report: Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge releasing as Galaxy S Edge, coming to Europe
- Xiaomi Mi Note: Chinese dual SIM phone sells out in three minutes
- Apple just had the best quarter ever. Of anyone. EVER
- Apple Watch release date finally confirmed: April 2015
- ZTE Blade S6 launches with decent specs and $249 price tag
- Apple is China's most popular smartphone manufacturer (1)
- HTC One M9/Hima: ‘slicker’ and ‘more refined’ than One M8
- Is this the best smartphone case ever? Kickstarter project PRINTS your pics
- LG Mobile's 2014 results: 16% annual revenue boost, but not quite a top-5 performance
- Free Microsoft Office for Android tablets finally arrives
- Google Play vs. App Store: Big G wins on downloads, but Apple’s king of app revenue
- OnePlus One metal back cover arriving tomorrow? (1)
- Huawei on Windows Phone: it’s too hard to differentiate
- Samsung Galaxy S6 software ‘slimmed down by a wide margin’
- Apple vs. Samsung in 4Q14: too close to call?
- OxygenOS: OnePlus announces its own Android ROM
- Motorola Moto G 4G price drop: £99 from Tesco starting Monday (1)
- LG G4 specs: highest smartphone resolution ever at 1620 x 2880? (1)