Predictably, with the Samsung Galaxy S6 launch now just two weeks away (literally two weeks from today), the Galaxy S6 rumours and leaks came thick and fast. News blitz below!
Starting with Samsung Galaxy S6 news, we heard that the Galaxy S6 Edge in particular set a record-high score in AnTuTu; both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge will be metal with 5.1in displays; Galaxy S6 specs might include wireless charging, so it mightn't be metal after all; the Galaxy S6 release date will be the week commencing March 23; and Galaxy S6 TouchWiz will be "amazingly fast" with free Office 365. Phew!
Windows 10 news was rife, too. We started the week with the news that Windows 10 is being tested on the humble dual-core 512MB-of-RAM Nokia Lumia 520; RTM (release to manufacturers) is set for June, so the first Windows 10 devices might arrive in August in time for the Back to School rush; and developers will be able to roll back from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows Phone 8.1.
We met some interesting entry-levels phones this week, starting with the Sony Xperia E4. It's been unofficially priced at £99 (look out, Motorola Moto G 4G LTE!), and you can win a free Sony Xperia E4 on Facebook.
The other potential entry-level hit is the HTC Desire 626. It has entirely decent specs (including microSD and LTE), and is priced roughly £125 in Taiwan. It's reportedly coming to the US, so the notion of a UK release isn't too far-fetched.
And finally, in features, I penned these guys:
- Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015 preview: Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Sony, LG, Huawei, Motorola
- Five things you should know about the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
- HTC Desire 626 vs. Motorola Moto G vs. Moto G 4G LTE vs. Moto G 2014
- Five reasons it sucks to be Samsung
Next week expect loads more on the Samsung Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9, with Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2015 just about visible on the horizon.
In the meantime, here's last week's news in full:
- Am I Going Down? iPhone app predicts likelihood of plane crash (1)
- Windows 10 being tested on dual-core 512MB Nokia Lumia 520
- Starting tomorrow: every Tuesday is OnePlus One open sales day
- Project Phire: Corning ‘approaches’ sapphire-level scratch resistance
- Windows 10 release date: August for the first new devices?
- Desire 626: HTC’s answer to the Moto G? (3)
- Sony Xperia E4 launched: entry-level, curvy with premium accents, 2-day battery
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge benchmark results: BEAST
- Lenovo P70: Chinese smartphone boasts 46 days standby time
- Sayonara Samsung? Team Shin contemplates bailing on Japan
- Official: roll back from Windows 10 Technical Preview to Windows Phone 8.1 with recovery tool
- iPhone theft drops 50% in London
- Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge: both metal, both 5.1in?
- Win a free Sony Xperia E4 on Facebook
- Apple: first US company valued above $700 billion
- Serendipity S7: Chinese smartphone has near edge-to-edge display, but don’t expect to see many in the wild
- How to pronounce Xiaomi, by Hugo Barra
- Samsung Galaxy J1 rated 1/5 stars by Amazon India customers (1)
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge gets 24K gold makeover
- Samsung Galaxy S6 specs: wireless charging and glass rear?!
- Samsung Galaxy S6 release date: March 22?
- Woman electrocuted in bath by charging iPhone (1)
- Sony Xperia E4 priced £99 by Clove
- Samsung Galaxy S6 TouchWiz: ‘amazingly fast’, free Office 365
- Coming soon: Samsung Galaxy Grand 3
- ‘The Next Galaxy’ returns, drives Mobot writer crazy (4)
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 810: faster than Exynos 7420, cooler than Qualcomm Snapdragon 801
- HTC Desire 626 coming to the US, can we have a UK release, too?
- HTC One M9 specs: rumoured at 5in 1080p again, QS810, 3GB RAM, 20.7MP rear camera, Lollipop
- ‘Too many issues’ with Windows 10 Technical Preview right now, but support for more phones coming soon (1)