For those BlackBerry users who lived without data for several days last week, compensation was never going to be an option, let’s be honest.
Instead, RIM has reiterated its apology (sort of) and announced that BlackBerry users will get $100 worth of free app action. Shades of Nintendo following the 3DS price cut.
Unfortunately you won’t be able to choose your free apps. RIM has already done that for you. They are:
- SIMS 3 – Electronic Arts
- Bejeweled – Electronic Arts
- N.O.V.A. – Gameloft
- Texas Hold’em Poker 2 – Gameloft
- Bubble Bash 2 – Gameloft
- Photo Editor Ultimate – Ice Cold Apps
- DriveSafely Pro – iSpeech.org
- iSpeech Translator Pro – iSpeech.org
- Drive Safely Enterprise – iSpeech.org
- Nobex Radio™ Premium – Nobex
- Shazam Encore – Shazam
- Vlingo Plus: Virtual Assistant – Vlingo
Enterprise customers, meanwhile, will get a month of free Technical Support.
“We are grateful to our loyal BlackBerry customers for their patience,” said RIM’s co-CEO, Mike Lazaridis. “We have apologized to our customers and we will work tirelessly to restore their confidence. We are taking immediate and aggressive steps to help prevent something like this from happening again.”
Last week, JPMorgan Chase analyst Rod Hall estimated the outage could cost RIM over $100 million. Bad times.