Samsung Galaxy S III melts through casing!

Samsung Galaxy S III melts through casing!Considering the sheer number of phones out there, it’s not uncommon to hear about the odd one getting a little too hot and exploding and stuff. Remember the iPhone 4 that started glowing red and emitting smoke as a flight landed in Sydney?

Not to be outdone by its greatest rival, Samsung has played its card with a melting Galaxy S III.

In particular, it was a global HSPA+ Samsung Galaxy S III that malfunctioned. While travelling in an in-car holster, the Samsung Galaxy S III reportedly sparked into white flames, and ultimately suffered quite noticeable (to put it mildly) melting and burn marks.

While the display still works, reception is dead. As such, the Samsung Galaxy S III has been submitted for repair to Carphone Warehouse.

An official statement on Samsung Tomorrow reads: "There have been recent online posts displaying pictures of a Samsung GALAXY SIII that appears to have heat-related damage at the bottom of the device. Samsung is aware of this issue and will begin investigating as soon as we receive the specific product in question.

"Once the investigation is complete, we will be able to provide further details on the situation. We are committed to providing our customers with the safest products possible and are looking at this seriously."

via: Engadget

Read more about: Samsung Galaxy S3Android

Add a comment
6 comments

JanSt / MOD  Jun. 21, 2012 at 14:05

Cheap in-car charger?

matt101101 / MOD  Jun. 21, 2012 at 14:11

Cheap in-car charger?
That would be my guess, as the phone appears to have had its little accident around the charging port area.

JanSt / MOD  Jun. 21, 2012 at 14:48

Cheap in-car charger?
That would be my guess, as the phone appears to have had its little accident around the charging port area.


Yes. I remember the already easily hotifiable iPhone 3GS - I once charged that with a 1.50 no-name charger and though it didn't burn, when I disconnected the cable the connector bit was hot hot hot

matt101101 / MOD  Jun. 21, 2012 at 15:00

If the phone was in an in-car charging cradle, it could well have been being used as a Sat-Nav, which warms phones up quite a lot even when they're not on charge. I dread to think what the combination of that and a cheap, too high voltage in-car cradle would be...

supadupasumo  Jun. 21, 2012 at 15:28

If the phone was in an in-car charging cradle, it could well have been being used as a Sat-Nav, which warms phones up quite a lot even when they're not on charge. I dread to think what the combination of that and a cheap, too high voltage in-car cradle would be...

You dread to think.... but there's pictorial evidence! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

matt101101 / MOD  Jun. 21, 2012 at 15:46

If the phone was in an in-car charging cradle, it could well have been being used as a Sat-Nav, which warms phones up quite a lot even when they're not on charge. I dread to think what the combination of that and a cheap, too high voltage in-car cradle would be...

You dread to think.... but there's pictorial evidence! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, but we don't know that's what happened, so it would still be a thought. For all we know the person was using a perfectly reasonable charger and it was a manufacturing fault that caused the fire.

Email:

You don't need an account to comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

Comment: