Smartphone study yields bizarre results

Smartphone study yields bizarre resultsA study of smartphone users in the US, conducted by Ipsos OTX on behalf of Google, has yielded some bizarre-o results. The participants were some 5,013 adult Americans, so that probably explains it*.

In the General Smartphone Usage category, 81% of users said they use the internet on their smartphone. That leaves a whopping 19% – almost one in five – who don’t use their smartphone’s browser. What the…?

Perhaps even more surprising is the percentage who “use an app”; only 68%. Is it actually possible to use a smartphone without apps? Unless the participants literally only use their phones to make calls, which begs the question: why the hell do you have a smartphone?

The rest of the survey was largely concerned with consumers noticing advertisements and making purchases based on ads and what not. Marketing nonsense. I’d rather hear how many users have dropped a smartphone down the toilet.

However, if you're more mature than me, and there's every chance that you are, head over to Google's mobile ads blog and check out “The Mobile Movement: Understanding Smartphone Users”.

*joke

Add a comment
8 comments

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 29, 2011 at 11:35

No offence, but I know countless folks here in Ireland who own and use smartphones and have no apps other than what comes pre-installed.
My Nokia C7 has Opera Mini and Gravity.
Let me exaggerate: if you have time to manage hundreds of apps on your smartphone, you probably don't need a smartphone :p

Just kiddin' ;)

iamdamien  Apr. 29, 2011 at 12:09

This study hasn't asked if they use apps like Facebook and Twitter. Or news apps. There is no need to use a web browser when everything is pulled straight to your device. Plus like Jan says, most people just use the inbuilt applications anyway.

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 29, 2011 at 12:45

Exactly.
And we already knew that appr 80% of all Android and iOS apps are only ever used ONCE! Those guys just leave out a step :p

Cerus  Apr. 29, 2011 at 17:24

iamdamien hit it. Most of the people who say they don't use apps probably don't know what an app is, but do use the pre-installed software.

seaw  Apr. 29, 2011 at 17:26

Why is this a bizarre result? Is it so hard to believe that some people may want the improved functionality (and camera in most cases), but don't want to pay for a data plan?

fredtdogg  Apr. 29, 2011 at 17:44

...or, the fact that you can't get a "regular" phone anymore. Many companies offer smartphones for free, but regular mobile phones cost $30 and up. Obviously, the phone companies are trying to get you to sign up for their ridiculous data plans, which are a much higher profit for them, so they'll subsidize a smartphone but not a regular phone.

ArtistGirl  Apr. 29, 2011 at 20:30

I have a prepaid smart phone and I don't use the browser because it sucks up the minutes. I go home and use the internet on my home computer. I got it because it makes me look like I've joined the 21st century.

JanSt / MOD  Apr. 30, 2011 at 15:34

fredtdogg...
you are quite right!

Email:

You don't need an account to comment. Just enter your email address. We'll keep it private.

Comment: